No Turn On Red

No Turn On Red

Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Fall Food Fun - Part 2 - Sumac

I'm trying something new this year -- making sumac spice and sumac tea ("Indian lemonade", or my favorite, "Rhus Juice") from the great number of sumac on our property. The Middle-Eastern spice za'atar is made from Rhus coriaria, but I made mine from the local sumacs: Staghorn Sumac (Rhus typhina) and Shining (or Winged) Sumac (Rhus copallina). As far as I can tell, any of the sumacs with red berries can be used. ("Sumacs" with white berries, are now placed in the Toxicodendron genus, and include Poison Ivy and Poison Sumac. Obviously they must be avoided -- the genus name says it all "Poison Tree"!)

Rhus Juice (Sumac Tea)

I made tea by covering about six berry clusters with cold water and then crushing the berries with my hands; they were mildly sticky. The brewing tea had a pleasant citrus-y aroma. I tasted the brew after about two hours, and decided that I would let it steep overnight.
After about 12 hours of steeping, I filtered the mixture through a coffee filter. The liquid had a slight yellow color and a refreshing taste. I think I made it too weak. Next time I'd add only about half the water I did this time.

Spice

First I had to let the berries dry. Here are two freshly-picked clusters.
The same clusters after several weeks of drying.
After removing the dried berries from the stems and leaves, I pulsed them in a small grinder.
I used a small sieve to separate the powder from the seeds. Two clusters made about 2 tsp of spice -- clearly I need to use more next year -- but at least I'll have enough to play with. A quick taste of the spice seemed to have very little flavor.

The Trees

Sumacs are pretty shrubs/trees, but can be difficult to control -- they form large colonies from their roots, and birds spread the seeds widely.

Shining Sumac (because of the glossy leaves) is also called Winged Sumac because of the "wings" along the leaf stalk.
A cluster of Shining Sumac berries.
Staghorn Sumac
Staghorn Sumac flower cluster.
Sumacs turn brilliant yellow-orange-red in the fall. This photo shows Staghorn Sumac.
And this is the deep red of Shining Sumac.


No comments:

Post a Comment