No Turn On Red

No Turn On Red

Thursday, March 24, 2016

Four Legs and Two Legs

First the four legs.

It's spring -- and Dakota is losing his thermal undercoat of hair. Lon is covered with dog hair.
Just a bit of Dakota's hair. No wonder our house needs to be swept two or three times a day!
Now for two legs.

I noticed this tree of heron nests in January. At first I thought that vultures had chosen to settle in this tree near the one I photographed earlier this week.
But a closer examination made it clear that these were great blue herons, not vultures.
Note the long beak and tufts on the head -- it's a heron.
Since we go by here everyday on our way to the Y, I brought my better camera. Here's a heron on a nest.
It looks like this pair is adding a new nest to the tree.
Herons aren't the only birds looking for nest sites. A pair of bluebirds have been trying to come in our bedroom window, but just end up hanging onto the screen. I have four bluebird boxes available for them, but they seem to prefer other places.

No comments:

Post a Comment