No Turn On Red

No Turn On Red

Thursday, August 25, 2016

Spiders

One of the more unpleasant features of my walks through the woods is continually running into large spiderwebs strung across the trail. I don't see them until my face contacts the web. Ugh!

It was very difficult to photograph, but this is the remains of a spiderweb on my glasses. Like I said above, they tend to be at face level.
Once in a while I see the web before I plow through it.
This seems to be the spider species making the webs. The spiky shell-like structure is the spider's abdomen. It is eating a flying insect of some sort that got trapped in the web. (I've tentatively identified this common spider as "Spined Micrathena", Micrathena gracilis.)
Another one of these spiders -- hanging on a thread after I destroyed its web.


No comments:

Post a Comment