No Turn On Red

No Turn On Red

Thursday, March 1, 2018

Night Photography

Earlier this week it was warm enough to spend the evening on our deck with a campfire in the fire pit. Since it still gets dark fairly early, I decided would spend some time working on night photography. Orion and the Pleiades were prominent in the southern sky, and light clouds were coming through from time to time.

The clouds in the southwest were illuminated by light pollution from Covington in this 30 sec exposure. The red dot in the lower left is the cable TV antenna on Horse Mountain.
Orion. 30 sec exposure. The various star colors stand out.
A 10 sec exposure of the Pleiades was less successful. I have no idea what the red dot near the center bottom is.
The same photo with a bit of lighten-ing in Photoshop. Again, I have no idea what the red dot and two blue-violet dots are.
A weird artifact in a 2 sec exposure of Orion's belt (not in the photo). I presume this was an ember from the campfire. Cue the "Twilight Zone" theme.
The one thing I did learn was that I need a better, sturdier tripod for multi-second exposures!


No comments:

Post a Comment