No Turn On Red

No Turn On Red

Tuesday, May 18, 2021

More Miscellany

 When you can't find a suitable topic, just file under "miscellaneous". No matter what I'm working on, I seem to have more "miscellaneous" than anything else.

These feathers were in a circle radiating out from a small rock. A quick look at my Feathers book (Bird Feathers, Scott & McFarland, Stackpole Books, 2010 - highly recommended if you are looking for yet another field guide) found them to be from a mourning dove - mostly tail feathers. I can't think of what predator might be on the ground during the day when mourning doves are out. We don't have a domestic cat and it seems unlikely that our resident bobcat(s) and coyotes were out in the daytime. Maybe a hawk? Or maybe a snake? (See below.)

That's not dirt on the lens, but gnats. Ugh! (This photo is from my "Picturepost" series.)

More gnats - looking straight up.

I hadn't thought about snakes until I found this 5-ft long (at least) shedded skin while watering our new winterberry plants. We have a healthy population of black rat snakes - for the last two years we've found hatched eggs in our compost. This is the longest skin we've seen. A snake this long would clearly be capable of eating a mourning dove. I wish it would feast on the mice in our shed instead!

The head portion of the snake skin.

No comments:

Post a Comment